Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Wenliang (Kevin) Du
- Professor (CV)
- Ph.D. Purdue University, 2001
- Research: Computer Security
- Department of Electrical Engineering and
- Syracuse University
- 4-206 Center for Science and Technology
- Syracuse, NY 13244-4100
Phone: (315) 443-9180, Fax: (315) 443-1122
Office: 4-285 Sci-Tech Building
Research and Education Interests
Most Recent News and Papers
published in CCS'03, won the prestigious
ACM CCS Test-of-Time Award.
Yifei Wang, Srinivas Hariharan, Chenxi Zhao, Jiaming Liu, Wenliang Du.
Compac: Enforce Component-Level Access Control in Android.
In Proceedings of the 4th ACM Conference on Data and Application Security and
San Antonio, TX, USA.
March 3-5, 2014.
Xing Jin, Lusha Wang, Tongbo Luo, and Wenliang Du.
Fine-Grained Access Control
for HTML5-Based Mobile Applications in Android.
A shorter version of this paper is published in Proceedings of the
16th Information Security Conference, Dallas, Texas. November 13-15, 2013.
Xiao Zhang, Amit Ahlawat, and Wenliang Du.
AFrame: Isolating Advertisements from Mobile Applications in Android.
In Proceedings of the 29th Annual Computer Security Applications Conference (ACSAC),
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA. December 9-13, 2013.
Yousra Aafer, Wenliang Du, and Heng Yin.
DroidAPIMiner: Mining API-Level Features for Robust Malware Detection in Android
In Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Security and
Privacy in Communication Networks (SecureComm).
September 25-27, 2013.
Develop Fine-Grained Access Control for Third-Party Components in Mobile Systems.
$499,962, 08/2013 - 07/2016, PI.
Award No. 1318814).
Collaborative: Bolstering Security Education through Transiting Research on Browser Security.
$89,878, 09/2013 - 09/2015, PI.
Award No. 1318883).
- Security-Enhanced WebView for Android System
(Google Research Award,
$49,387, 01/2012 - 12/2012, PI). This project is primarily based on
my Ph.D. student Tongbo Luo's work.
- To Configure or to Implement, that is the Access Control Question for
Web Applications (NSF Trustworthy Computing,
$506,470, 09/2010 - 08/2013, PI.
Award No. 1017771).
SEED: Developing Instructional Laboratories for Computer
(NSF-CCLI, Type 2, $451,682, 01/2007-12/2011, PI.
Award No. 0618680).
- Applied Research - Identity Management
(JPMorgan Chase, $96,084, 1/08 - 8/08).
- Efficient and Resilient Key Management for
Wireless Sensor Networks (ARO, $360,000, 5/05-4/08, PI).
- Collaborative Research: Trustworthy and Resilient Location Discovery
in Wireless Sensor Networks
(NSF CyberTrust, $150,000, 9/04-8/07, PI).
- Collaborative Research: ITR: Distributed Data Mining to Protect
(NSF-ITR, $140,418, 8/03-7/06, PI).
- Private Prediction using Selective Models
(NSF-ITR, $220,000, 9/02-8/05, PI).
- Designing Laboratory Materials for Computer System Security Courses
Using Minix Instructional Operating System
(NSF-CCLI, Type 1, $74,984, 01/03-12/04, PI).
- VINE: Using VIrtual Network Environment
for Computer and Network Security Courses
(University Vision Fund, $5000, 01/03-12/03, PI).
Invited Talks, Panels, and Tutorials
- Enhancing the Security of Mobile Devices.
Invited talks at
- University of South Florida (2/19/2014),
- University at Buffalo, State University of New York (9/26/2013),
- Air Force Research Lab (8/14/2013),
- Syracuse Research Corporation (7/16/2013),
- Chinese Academy of Sciences (5/17/2013),
- Peking University (5/16/2013),
- Microsoft Research China (5/15/2013),
- McMaster University (4/24/2013),
- University of Florida (2/18/2013).
- The 25th School of
Computing & Information Sciences Anniversary at the Florida Internation University,
November 9, 2012.
- Re-designing the Web's Access Control System.
Invited talks at
- Microsoft Research, Redmond, WA. July 28, 2011
- The 25th Annual WG 11.3 Conference on Data and Applications
Security and Privacy (DBSec), July 13, 2011.
- University of Massachusetts Lowell (Computer Science Colloquia Talk),
December 1, 2010.
- University of Science and Technology of China (USTC), May 11, 2010.
- Beijing Institute of Technology, May 10, 2010.
- The SEED project.
- Invited panelist at the NICE (National Initiative for Cybersecurity Education)
Track 2 Coalition organizational meeting, November 5, 2010.
- Invited talk at the University of Science and Technology of China (USTC),
May 12, 2010.
- Invited panelist at the Annual Conference on Education in Information
Security, Ames, Iowa. September 17-18, 2006.
Using Instructional Operating System to Teach Computer
Security Courses. A tutorial
at the 11th ACM Conference On Computer And Communication Security
(CCS). Alexandria, VA, November 10, 2005.
- Privacy-Preserving Data Mining.
- University of Pittsburgh. April 18, 2006.
- Computer Science Seminar, Stevens Institute of Technology. April 18, 2005.
- CS Department, University of Maryland College Park. October 27, 2003.
- Securing Wirless Sensor Networks.
- Invited talk at the IEEE Joint Chapter for Communications and Aerospace
at Rochester, June 6, 2006.
- Computer Science Graduate Seminar, Wayne State University. December 13, 2005.
- ECE Department, Clarkson University. April 16, 2004.
- Securing Wirless Sensor Networks
CERIAS Seminar, Purdue University. March 31, 2004.
- Editorial Board Members,
International Journal of Security and Networks (IJSN), 2008 - 2010.
- Tutorials Chair,
ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (CCS'06 and '07).
- Guest Co-Editor,
Journal of Computer Security, Special Issue on Security of Ad Hoc and
Sensor Networks, 2006.
- Program Co-Chair
- Program Committee
- WWW: International World Wide Web Conference (Abuse, Security & Security
- ICDCS: The Internationl Conference on Distributed
Computing Systems (Privacy & Security track, 2008 - 2012).
- CCS: The ACM Conference on Computer and Communication Security (2007 - 2009).
- ICDE 2010: The 26th IEEE International Conference on Data
Engineering (Privacy & Security track)
- WiSec: The ACM Conference on Wireless Network Security (2007 - 2008).
- ICICS: The Eighth International Conference on Information and
Communications Security (2006).
- SDM: SIAM International Conference on Data Mining (2004, 2005).
- ASIACCS: ACM Symposium on InformAtion, Computer and Communications
- SASN: ACM Workshop on Security of Ad Hoc and Sensor Networks (2004 - 2006),
- WiSe: ACM Workshop on Wireless Security (2005, 2006).
- ICPADS: The 11th International Conference on
Parallel and Distributed Systems (2005).
- WPES: ACM Workshop on Privacy in the Electronic Society (2004).