Course Objective and
- The Objective of this course is to
equip participants with a way of
seeing based upon mathematics and the fundamental
building blocks of mathematics: sets, relations, and
- The Purpose of this way of seeing is
to empower one to engineer anything in the design space that is
the mathematical universe, the only limits being those imposed by
- The mathematical universe displays extreme
particular, the structure and function of any part of it impacts the
structure and function of every other part.
- Artifacts of technology as well as the the virtual
worlds of computing are realizations of structures in the mathematical
- Therefore, the greater one's powers to
roam at will through the design space that is the mathematical
greater will be one's powers to create and to wield artefacts of
technology and the virtual worlds of computing.
To realize the course's purpose, upon completion of the course
participants will be able to:
- Begin to read mathematical research papers in computer science
- Recognize rigorous mathematical reasoning.
- To use mathematical reasoning to facilitate
deep learning of new technical concepts on one's
- To formalize rigorous reasoning and appreciate the issues
involved in formally modeling natural reasoning.
- To apply mathematical logic to showing that hardware and software
conform to desired specifications.